Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tomato Street

Location: 6220 North Division Street, Spokane, WA

Tomato Street has kind of ruined me. My first experience there was so awesome that I hold every other Italian restaurant in Spokane to their standard. I have yet to find one I like as much, so I was super excited when the girls suggested we go there for lunch.

My favorite item on their menu is their Baked Spaghetti. Unfortunately, it wasn't on the lunch specials menu, and I was trying to be cheap, so I made a different selection. I debated between Uncle Tony's Chicken Pasta and the Smoked Chicken Manicotti, but in the end I decided to give the Smoked Chicken Manicotti a whirl.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though, because there is the matter of bread that needs to be discussed. Tomato Street calls it garlic bread, but highly addictive buttery goodness bread would probably be more accurate. It is soaked in butter and garlic, and it's delicious. Hello carbs!

The lunch portions are quite generous and, in addition to the garlic bread, a small side salad comes with the meal. The side salad was truly the least exciting portion of the meal, so I'm just going to breeze through and get on with the good stuff.

The menu claims the lunch portions are half portions of the dinner entrees, and they are STILL huge. There were 3 pieces of manicotti, stuffed with smoked chicken, ricotta, mozzarella, provolone, smoked Gouda, bacon, green onions and Roma tomatoes. As if that isn't a rich enough mix of cheeses, they cover it in Asiago sauce.

So how did it stack up to my beloved Baked Spaghetti? Well, it wasn't a bad meal by any means, but it wasn't my favorite. Rumor has it I should have chosen Uncle Tony's Chicken Pasta, which I will definitely do next time. I'm sure I can arrange another visit to Tomato Street sooner rather than later.

On a bit of a side note, be sure to check out the servers' hats when you visit. Each server wears a fun hat that quite possibly reflects their personality. Our server had a viking-type helmet, which we joked was indicative of his level of brain activity. He forgot a refill on one of the girls' drinks, so it's only fair I throw in a little humor at his expense. ;)

P.S. Apologies for the lack of video in this post. We recently joined the 21st century and bought smartphones, and I'm still trying to learn the ropes. (My handy dandy videographer did not accompany me on this dining excursion.) Will you forgive me if I share a pic of that yummy garlic bread I told you about instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment